Wednesday, 30 September 2026

London Trip #17: Part 8 Lewes Day Out

Deb was pumped and ready for her film festival.  Her film "She Makes A Moving Picture" is one of her best and was entered into competition for Best Experimental Film.  Her film was showing in the first block of films.  She had an all-day pass and I had a one-block pass to see her film.  The Saturday morning train to Lewes was packed.  We got seats but not together.  Everyone was heading out for day hikes.  Earlier by a few weeks a major train derailment on our line occurred, and the track had only been open for a few days before our journey.  However, as we approached the site of the accident it became evident that the track was still wonky.  Our train swayed dramatically as we began slowing for Lewes.  A few hours later we found out that the line was again shut down for inspection.  By the time we headed home that evening trains were running again but at a greatly reduced speed for part of the journey.
 
It was a sunny day and warm.  My hiking wouldn't start until noon, so I would likely suffer somewhat.  The film festival (Women Over 50) was held at the Depot Cinema, the main cultural hotspot in Lewes and adjacent to the train station.  It was busy there all day as they were also showing The Odyssey in a separate cinema (there are 3 of them).  Besides that there were afternoon and evening outdoor concerts on their large patio, and the place was jammed full of people.  Deb's theatre was also full most of the day.  After her film block we parted until later in the afternoon.  Deb had two more film blocks to watch, plus a panel discussion and later the awards ceremony.
 
After her film was shown Deb faced the crowd to talk about it. 
 
That evening Deb was awarded a second place for her film. 
 
My walk today was from Lewes to Glynde.  Essentially it was up one giant hill, then down, then up a second even larger hill, then down.  While only 3.5 miles, it turned into 950' of elevation gain.  It was sunny and very warm, though at the top a stiff breeze was blowing.  The walk properly begins at the end of the High Street.  One continues up Church Street, and up and up.  At the top is a golf course on one side and open land on the other.
 
This photo is from our May trip to Lewes, where both hills can be seen from the top of the castle.
I first climbed the nearby hill, keeping just to the left of the steep white cliffs.  Then it was
down the other side and up the larger hill back right (in shadow).  Atop that hill is an
ancient burial mound and 360 degree views, including views of the Channel.
  
I am climbing the hill in September and looking back at Lewes and the castle! 
 
Atop the first hill the South Downs come into view, background.  
 
A descent and valley walk await before I climb the second hill, far background. 
   
Beginning my descent of the first hill.  2 tiny walkers can be seen near center.  
 
Getting towards the summit of hill 2. 
 
Mount Caburn gave views in all directions. Because of the sun's glare the Channel in the center distance doesn't show up in the photo.  South Downs in left background.
 
Attach this photo to the left side of the one above.  The village of Glynde is at lower left. 
 
There were several horses on Mount Caburn and a flock of ship on the dry grasslands behind it. 
 
Beginning my final descent into Glynde. 
 
It was a long way down.  At the bottom was a pink house, a tea room and the tiny post office, 
which also doubled as the corner store for the village. 
  
This pink house is at the bottom of the trail, next to the post office. 
 
Internet photo of the little post office.  I was able to have a coffee inside, and a nice chat with the young woman in charge today.  She had just finished her A Levels and was preparing for her first year at university (chemistry major!). 
 
Once back in civilization I headed towards the train station.  There is a brewery in town but they mix ale with kombucha.  I wasn't interested.  Better yet, there is a pub at the station!  Last May we had visited its sister pub at the station in Seaford.  We were told about this one so I had to visit.  There is yet another very fine pub just behind the station, but I stuck with this one until train time.
 
Looking a lot like its sister pub in Seaford, Steamworks is a cozy little space that was once the station 
waiting room.  I enjoyed a glass of Longman's American Pale Ale, which was quite acceptable. 
 
With my walk completed it was time to return to Lewes.  It was only one stop away and it cost me £3.20.  From the train I was able to view my most recent hill from the south end.  I had only completed the first part of a much longer walk which climbs the South Downs.  I hope to finish it next time with Deb. 
 
Glynde Station and pub. 
 
Mount Caburn from my train window returning to Lewes.
 
 
Back in Lewes I had one more major site to visit, missed by us last May.  The ruins of a very large priory were first discovered when the railway was first coming through from Brighton.  Diggings turned up the ruins, and though much was lost at the time due to the tracks being installed, there is still a fair amount preserved.  The Priory is now a large park, free to visit and with many interpretive signs and benches.  I spent a long time exploring before I returned to the nearby Depot Cinema to meet up with Deb.  She was on a short break so I was able to catch her for a few moments. 
 
The vast priory at its height around 1520.  It was first founded in the 1000s. 
 
On-site model of the priory, destroyed by Henry VIII in the late 1530s.  The ruins remained pretty much
undiscovered until the railway came through. 
 
The ruins came be explored at leisure.  There are plentiful information signs. 
 
A view of my first hill climb in the background. 
 
There are significant remains to see.  
 
Even the expanded privy has been excavated.
 
 
After my sunny afternoon it was time to seek out quality shade.  I briefly met up with Deb at the Depot.  When she returned to the festival screenings I sat in the bar/cafe, which was very busy on a late Saturday afternoon.  I had a glass of Otto Nitro Stout and a vegan dessert before heading out to a favourite local pub, The Gardeners, visited last May and anxiously looked forward to today.  Earlier, as I had begun my hill walk, I had to walk past.  Now it was time to stop off and enjoy.  I sat at the bar talking with the bar dudes, and a couple sitting beside me working on a giganticus crossword puzzle.  Every time they came to a North American clue it was passed on to me and I was able to oblige with the correct answer  (Minneapolis, Michigan, Les Paul).  I thoroughly enjoyed my glasses of Steam Town Stout and Lilley's Crazy Goat Cider, one of their best.
 
I returned to the Depot at 6:30 pm for the festival awards ceremony, where Deb walked off with a 2nd prize.  Afterwards we headed back to Croydon, with the train line reopened but slowed down for now.  We were back in our room by 9:20.  It had been a fantastic day out, and we still had three days remaining.
 
Mapman Mike 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment